Friday, August 12, 2005

Mold Farm


Unfortunately, our wonderful, new camera experienced a meltdown on the way to Japan, so it is going to be awhile until you see the first-hand account of this country. Although, this mold pic really does a pretty good job of getting the point across, and it is kind of pretty, don't you think? We have made it to the other side of the world, where I found Nate with a bag of small, individually wrapped kit-kats and a canister of stale pringles. Our apartment is actually cute, despite the mold, it has potential. Luckily, we bought $800.00 worth of furnishing from probably the cheapest and also not the cleanest people alive, so now we are stuck with trying to get rid of it, which in itself is no easy task, as garbage separation and fees are probably as complicated to figure out as the language. I am excited to buy new stuff, though, thank god we will at least have some money soon. Other than that, I am at a total loss. The weather is so unbelievable that I almost like it, who knew 85% humidity would be good for my skin. Constant rejuvenation! Basically, we are taking about 3 showers a day, everytime you step out the door you are dripping with sweat. I understand nothing, and don't know how to get anywhere, really. Alex is doing really well, I am excited to find him some friends, but until I figure it out, we have been managing together really well. This is going to sound terrible and I really don't mean it in the way it will sound, but I think Kanazawa is called one of the most beautiful cities in Japan because Japan really is not a beautiful place. At least at first, the landscape is constant urbanization and also makes no sense-there will be a quiet, little park with a shrine and a vending machine. Or gigantic ferris wheels that seem to be in the middle of nowhere. I also haven't been out of the house too much, but I really like the looks of the neighbors air conditioner.

5 comments:

Derek said...

I hope everything smoothes out soon. I'm relieved to hear how positive you are looking at everything, I think you will be fine once you get your bearings. Everything sounds so unusual. But, I guess that is what makes it foreign. I wish you all love, and look forward to reading more about your adventures!

Anonymous said...

That reminds me of when I was in a little hostel in Amsterdam with my best friend and the showers were so bad they almost couldn't do the basic job that showers are meant to do. I tried them all and stayed in the best one, which was cold and litterally had all the holes except for one clogged with lime deposits (I think). My friend and I were laughing and commiserating while we tried to get clean from one cold stream of water in our showers (that was also shooting off sideways. The great thing was, though, there was something in the water - the mineral content maybe - and my hair had never been better before or since. Krista! Remember this, a beautiful complexion is worth it alone - not to mention the life lessons and experiences. We miss you already.

Crystal said...

Krista, glad to hear you are settling in. We cant wait for you to come back, whenever we make plans for something, we keep forgetting you cant join us! Miss you much, hello to nate and alex!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds like a great trip, haha! That sucks about your camera. Um I don't much about the whole mold idea, that would gross me out. If you wanna I could send over my AC...haha! I dunt know if it would do you any good because by the time you would get it, it wouldn't be any use to you. Give Alex some kisses for me...and oh well I guess Nate too...I guess you can take a few for yourself as well...haha! miss you! ♥♥

Anonymous said...

Hi! just got back from I.F. everything ok there. at least there's no walmart in kanazawa. I.F. has 2. sick.
I'm glad we have your address, now, what can we send you? anything to make your life better? whatever it is, just ask! We all miss you so so so much. thank god for blogs. Im redoing the girls room while they're in Idaho. They're getting big girls beds. take care and please let us know what you need!