Sunday, August 21, 2005

Here is Alex. I know most of you want to know what is going on with this little bear. Here he is in his own room and a huge bed, which is more than I can say for Nate and I. He has only fallen off the bed once, but it didn't seem to even wake him up. We are in the process of finding a playgroup, there is a huge park and playground nearby with a childrens center that is one of the coolest places for kids I have ever seen. There is a huge toddler room with every cool toy, a little aquarium, tons of kid-made crafts everwhere. When we were there some kids gave us some huge bug carcasses (I didn't know what to do with them, so I gave it back, I probably should have just kept it). From what I understand, everything there is free. Alex has been doing really, he's adjusted quicker than any of us. He is not that fun to take shopping, but he loves riding around on the back of the bike and mimicking Japanese people. He also seems to be the loudest kid around, Japanese children are so quiet, even if they are being crazy. There are a couple of little kids in our apartment building, we have met a couple, so hopefully we get to play with them, too. There are crickets everywhere that are gigantic, they look like small birds when they fly and are super loud, all the kids wander around with nets and little boxes trying to catch them. In the parks they are so loud and piercing it hurts your ears. Alex has also been eating well, trying new things, and enthusiastically trying to use chopsticks. He calls all little kids Holden.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such good news! It seems like things are looking up! I remember the huge "department stores" with all the designer clothes that take up a whole block. I also remember the bottom floors that were like a gourmet dream world. There's nothing like a beautiful Japanese woman dressed to the nines! I always felt so big and dumpy in Japan and that was back when I was about your size. It's a strange and beautiful world, isn't it?

Love, Donna

Derek said...

Alex is so cute. I'm so happy to hear that he is adjusting so well, but I guess kids are like that, everything is so new all the time regardless of were they are, but I'm sure he will grow up to be smarter than any of us.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Alex seems like he is so much bigger in pictures! I cannot believe it. Im glad that you are all adjusting. Take pictures of the department stores...I want to see what it is like there. ha-ha..
Miss you and love you guys lots
Love,
Savannah