Wednesday, March 08, 2006

bread and colds























This is Alex and Riku, the boy who lives upstairs. We all went to Fanfare (pronounced fawn-far-e, here) with his mom, Yuko, who is equally excited by pastries. In case you have forgotten, Alex and I have been to Fanfare once before, when we first got here, and it is the closest thing to home, as far as bakeries go. I wish I could go to Fanfare everyday.

The downfall is that Yuko's kids are always sick, and guess what, so are we!

My new favorite thing here is melon pan (aka me-ron pan) . It actually doesn't normally have melon flavor, it is called that because of how it looks. It is best when bought hot off a vending truck on a cool day.

In other news, Alex and I have plane tickets home for April 21st. We even get to fly home with Lindsay! A big relief since she is familiar with the Vancouver airport where we have to change planes, and my last lay-over experience was pure hell. Nate is staying here, and hopefully flying home June 3rd for 3 weeks, then returning to Japan for another month to complete his contract. Someone needs to come and make sure he is not eating instant ramen every night and keep him in check.

2 comments:

Derek said...

If things work out, I hope to monitor Nate's diet for at least a little while. Yet, at this point I can make no promises.

Anonymous said...

The kids I babysit on Wednesdays are ALWAYS sick. It freaks me out - sneezing/coughing on things, wheezing, flu, fever, PINK EYE! and that's just in the past four visits. Iris and I are doing okay so far but it takes constant diligence with cough/sneeze dodging and handwashing.

Did you see? We'll be home on May 31st! Daily Cafe, here we come!