Friday, February 24, 2006

photo essay


I have a friend! This is Satomi. She and her son Hana came over to our house. I remember thinking I would never have any friends here. We are almost to our 8th month here and I have made 3 japanese friends! (4 different people, but considering the language barrier, I think it counts more as 3 friends) Having a japanese friend is really nice. Satomi sent me chocolates when I was sick and yesterday spent at least an hour calling travel agencies for me, and I didn't even ask her to do it. I am so happy I met her, who wouldn't be!


Alex loves watching videos, but he is banned from Sesame street because he is always talking about his emotions- which are usually either sad or scared. I think he watched too many hurricane episodes. Ok, I know it is good to talk about these things, but really, how sad can a lego really make you, on an hourly basis? Anyway, he is still pretty cute. He is going to throw everyone through a loop when he comes home.















I bought this fabric to make a cool bag for new baby stuff, or whatever it happens to be used for beyond that. It is not a diaper bag, I hate that term because usually diaper bags are just ugly and who wants an ugly bag with a dirty diaper in it. If you have to carry around something like a dirty diaper, because that situation will arise where you know you have to just stick it in your bag, you need something to compensate for that. Anyway, in anticipation of being reunited with my beloved sewing machine in the near future I have been looking for patterns online.

















Maybe I am the only person who spends endless computer time looking up patterns, besides possibly Ted (who I love because he recently introduced me to pattern review), but can I just ask who in the hell thinks people want to still see patterns that look like they are from the 70's? This is a NEW Vogue pattern in the current issue of Vogue Patterns. Whoever makes these books needs to be tortured for all the years they have tortured me.

I was just reminded of something. About a year ago I was sitting on a park bench at PSU reading this and I knew then that marrying a genius like Nate was no mistake.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

So much genius, where do I start?
1. Love, love, love the fabric!
2. Even when I was young, I totally hated most patterns I would see. Looks like they haven't changed much.
3. Awesome article.

Anonymous said...

I have to say, when I saw that picture of that pattern, I was really surprised. I didn't think it looked like you AT ALL. Then I read what you wrote.

To be honest, I don't even blink when I see those ancient illustrations anymore. It's GOT to be a pattern that they are re-issuing!

And Vogue patterns are so expensive and difficult to read (esp. if you are used to New Look or something easier) you'd think that they'd try a little harder to SELL them! New sketches, people!

I only have one Vogue pattern, got on sale, for a vintage dress I may never sew but want to.

OH, and that site looks great!

Anonymous said...

Got a little heated there. So I forgot to sign my name. It was Lindsay