Tuesday, March 14, 2006

hello spring!


Today is White Day, which contrary to what it might look like, has nothing to do with the amount of snow that has accumulated today. White day is the boy's version of Valentine's Day and they are supposed to give girls cookies or something sweet. On Valentine's Day, girls give boys chocolates. I am a little let down, to tell you the truth. Immediately after Valentine's Day the White Day stuff arrived in the stores, I thought it would be a bigger deal, but last night at the grocery store I didn't see a ton of boys gathered around a gigantic cookie display like I did for Valentine's day, there was no Godiva booth selling deluxe editions of chocolate wafers. The display was pathetic, and I only saw 2 teenage boys. Girls always get the short end of the stick, except when being targeted to choose between 35 different chocolate items for some boy. Alex and I made cookies for his little play-group girlfriend, but after an hour of deliberating whether it was worth trudging through a blizzard, dragging a crying toddler, wearing a coat that I can't even button up around my stomach all for the sake of cookies and love, I decided. Forget it.

This is the view out my front door, notice that the name of the other apartment building is Fragrance. Next to that, is another apartment complex named Hermes. Ours? Residence K-1, it sounds like a dog kennel.

8 comments:

Crystal said...

Sandwiched between Hermes and Fragrance? Make room, because I am moving in!

Anonymous said...

This "snow event" had better stop. I'm already tired of it and we haven't even gotten there yet! I can't imagine that it won't be snowing for spring break. I'm reminded of the mosaic tiles at the Chinese Gardens "Plum blossoms through cracked ice"- the hope of spring! Keep the faith!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like my kind of place. K-1 here I come...

Anonymous said...

It snows now. Now, it snows. Darn.

Lindsay

Derek said...

I love the idea of White Day. Too bad it isn't celebrated with a little more passion. Sorry about the snow, it's been snowing here to, but it hasn't been sticking. I can't wait for spring.

ted d. said...

It almost snowed here, but then it warmed up and was cloudless.

Actually, is snowed a lot out in the desert east of here and the highways were all closed. You can see snowy mountains from parts of downtown san diego, which is unusual.

I heard about White Day from my Cambodian coworker, he explained this custom in most asian countries.

I think your building is named after a Robotech machine or something. I think that might make you from the future.

krista messer said...

it's true, it sounds futuristic, but then we would have to reference Tron, and what a can of worms that would open...

Anonymous said...

Tron is an excellent movie.

Now that is a big door!