Friday, September 30, 2005

sorry no pictures


Last weekend we went hiking and I was looking forward to posting my pictures about it, especially the "watch out for bears" sign, but I accidently erased them all. We went with two japanese girls from my cooking class the previous week, and their older german man-friend. The hike was about an hour and a half uphill, to a beautiful view of the countryside, city and ocean, and all to the enjoyment of a loudspeaker at the top playing Rod Stewart. Actually you could take a gondola to the top, and there was also a remote control car race track, childrens playground, concrete animals the size of small houses (unfortunately I didn't get any photos) and a little "chalet" where you could get fresh popped popcorn, beer, coffee, etc out of vending machines and ice cream and other treats from the counter. Somehow, I really don't feel like there were many bears around, although there must be if they felt there needed to be a sign there. If there is a sign, then there is something to worry about. We didn't see any that were alive and not made of pink concrete.
Our companions were all very friendly, although we are still a little unsure why Masae, who is a married Japanese girl, is hanging out with Hartmut, who is a married German engineer living here. His wife and 4 year old couldn't handle living here after 4 months so they moved back to Germany. Masae told us she picked him up at a bar. Afterward, Masae and her friend made Japanese style barbecue at Hartmut's really nice house. Actually, Nate cooked most of it. We ate and drank for hours and special highlights were fish ovaries (not good), grilled rice triangles (very good), various grilled beef, pork, squid, and vegetables. Grilled tofu, mushrooms and ramen noodles with vegetables, I think we ate continously for about 4 hours. Anyway, despite the confusing social ties, we had a really fun time.
The last couple of days I have had a cold, so today Alex and I made this little playhouse in the closet. Alex doesn't seem to really care about hanging out in it, but I think I might.
I have been really cutting back on my pastry consumption, but I must admit that I had one of the best things yesterday from the place near our house. It was a cream puff type thing, although the "puff" bready part of it was alot softer then you would expect. Inside was smooth and creamy vanilla bean custard and layer of real whipped cream. I am going to make everybody who comes here have one, it is one of the best yet, and it will give me an excuse to buy the cute little box set that they come in when you buy more than one. I will also have you know that, despite what you may think, I have not gained any weight and this is the last time I am going to write about my love of Japanese bakeries and desserts!
There are some new pictures of Alex and where we go for his playgroup that I posted, also some other random pics. I think Nate has pictures of our hike on his phone, I'll try to get them up too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Crystal said...

Oh my god, could you hear Rod Stewart the whole way up the mountain? Were they playing his greatest hits? Maybe it sounds better if you can't understand what he is saying?
P.S. I am changing my name to Hartmut.

polly conway said...

i will totally hang out in that closet with you...so cute!

ted d. said...

um, can we go up rod stewart mtn when I'm there? I will only attend when Infatuation is playing.

are fish ovaries the same as soft roe?

Anonymous said...

I think anyone can buy beer at the vending machine, there is nothing to do except put your money in!

I think the fish ovaries are not soft roe, but actually the ovaries from a very large fish. They look like small filets, like halibut cheeks or something, but not white.

I will make a special request for Infatuation, but I can't guarantee anything. And if anyone changes their name to Hartmut I will be traumatized for life!

Derek said...

I love to hear about the delicious food. I love how sophisticated your japanese companions are, cavorting with older europeans and such. I love your beautiful artificial nature hike. I'm sure the bears in question are run away Teddy Ruxpin dolls, that have gained super powers from left over radiation, much like Godzilla. In that movie they had to get Godzilla under the water before thay could distroy him, but then of course he returned on several occations, and he often brought guests. I don't know how you will distroy Teddy Ruxpin if you encounter him. You can tell him I say hello though, he was a good friend of mine when I was 8. Possibly hearing word from an old friend will cause him to chill out, and let you go without telling you the story of the faded Fobs.

Anonymous said...

Rod Stewart sounds so much better than the Kenny G. tape that was blasted into our gondola as we were descending up to the Great Wall of China! That experience alters ones life forever.

Donna