Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Note to Mothers: You aren't going to like this

Well, I guess one way to get a new bike here quickly is to get hit while riding one. Although I really hesitate to say this, in the last week both Nate and I have been hit by cars. Luckily, neither of us were injured at all, beside a small cut for him and a small leg bruise for me. He was on his way to work, I was on my way to the grocery store, and thank god, without Alex. Luckily, I saw my car coming and tried to brake and turn to avoid it and didn't even fall over. But my bicycle front tire did not come out so well, it was practically bent in half and the bike was unrideable. The woman spoke no English, but seemed extremely apologetic and said she was going to repair my bike. I left it at Mos Burger, she insisted to have the bike-lock key and I would have Yoko, my teacher, call her tomorrow about the repairs. Much to my surprise, the next day Yoko called her and she said it was my fault- I ran my bike into her car!! Yoko asked her if she reported it to the police, she said no, and therefore had no right to make judgement. She said she would have a new bike delivered, and here it is! But, I guess we will have to buy a new child's seat. Anyway, I am not happy to be hit by a car at all but a new bike is kind of nice. Fortunately, it will be winter soon and no bike riding anyway, so you can all try to be a little relieved about it. I was quite shocked that she lied about it, though.

Now I have to deal with this kerosene heater! It is so warm, but kerosene? Supposedly it is safe, you just have to air out your house every so often, which seems to defeat the purpose, but it is quite warm when it's on and electricity is so expensive here. I never thought I would use it when we first got here, but here we are. Poor Nate is freezing at school with no heat at all there, either. And all those girls have to wear skirts all winter long. In the good news, I am very excited because it looks like my dad is coming for Christmas!!! I can't wait, visitors at last! And I got up the nerve to invite my friend/neighbor Yuko and her 3 kids over for Thanksgiving with me and Alex while Nate is out of town. Her husband works and lives in another town during the week (which is actually pretty common here). I am a little unsure about what to make, but I am very excited to have such fun things to plan for! I hope her kids will eat my food!

7 comments:

Derek said...

This getting hit thing is SO not OK! I'm relieved that you are both safe, but that is scary. I guess I see a lot of scary driving here too. People don't even look where they are driving. I saw a man almost get hit last week, someone was just turning off Burnside, and didn't even bother to slow down. He wasn't hit, but it was close. I really scared me though. Do you need a carbon monoxide detector, for your kerosene heater. It isn't too late for use to send you one if you can't find one there. I sound like an old woman. Alas.
Love,
Derek

krista messer said...

hmm, maybe a carbon monoxide detector is a good idea. Are they expensive? I am debating whether to just erase this post, maybe it will cause too much worry. I am sorry, please don't worry!!

ted d. said...

My dad and sister lived through a Winter in kanzawa with a kerosene (?) heater. I think the biggest hassle was filling it periodically- but much cheaper.

they just kept the main room warm when someone was home and the bedrooms as night.

Anonymous said...

What!!?!! I just read this- you both got hit? Deep breath! Okay, this is not good and I know there are no helmets in Japan. The kerosene heater- we used one all the time in Ridgefield because we couldn't afford to heat our house. They are dangerous, especially if tipped over. Also, you need ventilation. Don't leave on at night when you are sleeping. If your windows are leaky, you should be okay. Oh my.... Please be careful.

Anonymous said...

Wow your heater looks all new and spiffy, so I am sure that it is extra-safe. Miles ahead of the old one I used to have. Remember, the whole country uses them!

Mine has a child-safety feature on it -- you press this button for three seconds, and then after that I guess it renders the buttons inoperable, until . . .

I don't know. I haven't tried that feature. I don't know how you reverse it. But maybe you have one too? Lindsay

Sue said...

i'm glad you two are safe. motorists in pittsburgh try to hit you on purpose - they hate pedestrians and cyclists!!!

by the way, i love your new bike!!!

polly conway said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Krista!