Sunday, November 13, 2005

The last week was rainy, not really much happening except maybe too much Japanese television and too many ramen noodle bowls from the convenient store. I could never eat these at home due to 1. not knowing what the hell was in them and 2. the outrageous amount of fat and calories. Now, I could really care less what is in them as long as there seems to be no weird fish-like pictures on the cover and I cannot read any of the nutritional information, so I can pretend they are healthy. They are actually pretty good, although not that filling.
Alex caught a cold, but has been in really good spirits despite being sick. He has learned how to peel satsuma oranges all by himself, which he is very proud of and has been watching many video game clips with his dad, something both of them seem to be able to do over and over and over. Nate gets very excited when he thinks about Alex finally being old enough to be his "gaming" partner. And I have no doubt that Alex is going to kick Nate's ass in any game he sets before him He has a way with buttons, as you all know. I bought him 4 crayons for $3.00, and haven't seen them since. I have no idea where they could be, he didn't even color with them at all, they just disappeared as soon as I handed them to him. I cannot figure out why something like a single crayon has to be so ridiculously expensive, but maybe at least they were good quality, I would have liked to tried them out myself!
Last week I found myself trying to stall my Japanese tutor by getting her to gossip (not a hard thing to do) because I hadn't studied enough. Not very smart, considering I am paying her, so, this week I have made up for it and been studying tons. I actually had my first real conversation in Japanese with a guy at the train station, which I could more or less understand and also answer everything he said.





I have been thinking a lot about winter, it will be so strange to be here over the holidays. It is the first time we have been away from our families, it seems like they (the holidays) just won't exist this year. Nate has to go to a conference on Thanksgiving Day which is overnight, so it will just be me and Alex and some chicken nuggets. I was looking up recipes on Epicurous.com and there was a beautiful picture of a pecan pie, it made me sigh. What are we going to have for Christmas that involves as microwave, toaster oven and a fish broiler? How I am going to get to the grocery store or bank in all that snow, something now that is done on almost a daily basis? (and oh yeah, let's not forget I am pregnant) I guess with many layers, boots, and planning ahead we'll waddle our way down to the store. Maybe we can quack like ducks, too, Alex would really like that- and I am sure the neighbors would!

2 comments:

Derek said...

That sounds so sad. We are preparing you a care package, that I hope can give you a little taste of home. I don't know how long it will take to reach you, but I hope it gets there soon. Is there anything similar to Holiday vacation in Japan? I heard that in Japan, people just eat cake to celebrate, though I did see this one Kurosawa film where Toshiro Mifune brought a cripple girl a Christmas Tree. Does your home keep warm? What are you missing from America? Is there anything you really need? Well All I really have are questions.
Love,
Derek

krista messer said...

it's not so sad, just really cold! we will be fine. I can't wait to get a package, it is the best thing when mail comes from home! anything you guys send will be coveted!
the real sad thing is that all the "christmas cakes" involve many huge, unnatural looking strawberries, which I detest, but since they are red that makes them christmasy. cuz you know, christmas really is all about color.